Message

Learn a word today!

Recent comments

• Reply to: Debunked: Japan's "Special Relationship with Robots"   1 year 7 months ago

I'm sorry but this article just give examples to support its already made-up stance - a known bias.The attitude to robots, usgae of robots and robots themselves are different in Japan compared to the west.Read this for instance

• Reply to: Five Japanese words that don't mean what you think they mean   1 year 11 months ago

Okay. Kamikaze. Ignoring the negative connotations around it (and it being in reference to some bad weather in a navy fight), I've heard the translation as divine wind. But the literal translation (as far as splitting the word in two and translating them) is God wind. Right? So what's the craic there? Is it up to the translator?

I don't think there is need for all that snark. I think that using the word 'anime' for cartoons coming out of japan and 'manga' for comics is good for easier comuunication and convenience. I think that by now in 2017, years (decades?) after japanese cartoons and comics have become popular in the west and other places that many people know that manga and anime really mean comics and cartoons.I think that so long as people know what the words really mean then it is fine.

"Yes, this is anime". Sorry, but... no. It is anime in Japan, and only in Japan. The word anime is used nowadays in a lot fo countries meaning "japanesese animation".

• Reply to: What's easy about learning Japanese   2 years 1 month ago

"Simplest questions ever

Q: Did you eat?
    A: I ate.

What the heck? That's about the simplest Q&A you could think of"

As a matter of fact, I believe it is even simpler :

Q: Did you eat?
    A: Ate.

:) Am I mistaken?

• Reply to: What's hard about learning Japanese   2 years 1 month ago

Hangul adds another "suspect" similarity. It is built on the same principles as Hiragana and Katakana, while its way of drawing the characters is unique. And here again, it is totally unrelated to Chinese ideograms, except for a certain familiar-looking style.

I believe the origins of a language lie in the typical way of thinking of the people's ancestors, and so with Hangul, maybe we can see something common in the ancient past of Japanese and Koreans.

• Reply to: Five Japanese words that don't mean what you think they mean   2 years 1 month ago

Not sure if this went through the first time, I don't see it anywhere?I don't make a distinction between "comics" and "manga" because of some selfish "but manga is better!" feeling, but simply because of the different connotations of the different phrases. To me, comic or cartoon means childish media for kids. Comics even got their name from comical. Maybe that's not completely true, but to me and I assume most other people, childish stuff is what first comes to mind when I hear those words. An animated short film for adults is an animated film. I don't know about other people, but I don't go around calling those cartoons, which would be the same thing to me as calling them TV shows for kids. Anime and manga is simply animated media that's made for a wide range of ages, some for kids, some for teens, some for adults. Maybe that's technically true for cartoons and comics too, but to me, anime and manga means animated media with deeper storylines and content more suitable for teens and up, while cartoons and comics mean childish media for kids.

• Reply to: Debunked: "Crisis = Danger + Opportunity"   2 years 2 months ago

...I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter", you'd say...

Laughing

• Reply to: Debunked: "Crisis = Danger + Opportunity"   2 years 2 months ago

Sure, one can – and arguably should! – take a crisis as an opportunity.

I only point out that the oft-repeated statement – "The Chinese word/characters for 'crisis' mean 'opportunity' in Chinese" – is factually incorrect.

Pages